Have you heard about this book called Fifty Shades of Grey? I’m not surprised. It’s everywhere. I even saw it on the shelves at my local grocery story. Like it or not, Fifty Shades is in demand. I’ve read dozens of opinions on why and how it became so huge, but the one I believe is this: it’s something people want.
Why now? Erotica has been around forever. I started reading romance novels in junior high, and writing them a couple years ago. The first ones I read were mildly titillating, piquing my curiosity and arousing my desire for more details. The more descriptive sex scenes, the better. That’s the appeal for me.
Fifty Shades of Grey struck a nerve. It fulfilled a need, appealing to the natural human desire to explore the forbidden, and creating a hunger for more. The general public has finally figured out what I’ve known for a long time: reading erotica is good for you!
Here are my Top 5 reasons why:
5. Sex is good for you. That might seem obvious, but did you know a good sex life can boost your self-esteem? I wish I’d known that when I was younger. Sex burns calories too, and anything that gives me a workout without feeling like work is always a good thing.
4. Picking up a dirty book is a great way to unwind and switch from good mom mode to naughty wife mode. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a magic button (uh yeah, there’s that button, but it needs a little warming up first.) ;) My imagination is my most powerful sex organ and once I stimulate that, my body will follow. Trashy stories do it every time.
3. Reading erotica can teach you new tricks. Bored in bed? Looking for a new position or a new location? Erotic romance is better than an instruction manual. (And I know of at least one book that has pictures.)
2. Erotica allows you to explore forbidden fantasies without the risk. That’s a huge appeal for me. I was playing ‘what if’ with my favorite fantasy when I wrote Her Twisted Pleasures. All of the sexual satisfaction and none of the emotional danger. Hehehe
1. Erotica is sexually empowering. It’s not just mommy porn. Instead of waiting and hoping my husband understands what I want in bed, I go after it. Empowering readers—both women and men—has always been my primary purpose in writing erotic romance.
Whether or not the Fifty Shades books are well-written is irrelevant. Everybody wants some erotica, and Fifty Shades of Grey threw the bedroom door wide open. Come in and enjoy. ;)